Part P Qualification

Part P came into effect in 2005 by government regulation and was designed to improve electrical safety in the home, it states that all work carried out domestic dwellings whether it’s for new installations or alterations must be carried out by a competent person. To be seen as a competent person you must register with one of the governing bodies approved by the government.
Certifying Your Own Work
If you carry out electrical work in a home and you are not part P registered you will have to notify your local building control officer, who will arrange to come and inspect your work, or they may send an agent acting on their behalf to check that your work is up to the required standards.

However, every time you need someone to come and inspect your work there will be a charge of between £100 and £200. So as you can see, these costs would soon add up so it is a much better option to get part P certified in the long run.

Because once you are Part P certified, and then register on a competent person’s scheme you will be able to self-certify your own work, saving you much time and money.

Competent persons scheme

The part P competent person scheme is designed to make certifying your work easier, the scheme providers will first make sure that you have the right qualifications to enroll on the scheme. Then when you need to issue a certificate you notify them and they will do this on your behalf, saving you a great deal of time and money.

Requirements for Part P

The requirements will rule on the part P scheme is that you must be able to install electrical equipment and fittings safely and up to the required standards.

If you are new to the industry, more than likely your course will already contain everything you need to do to prove yourself competent to enroll on the competent person scheme.

If you are already working in the electrical industry but do not have a part P certificate, then there are short courses specifically designed to get you up to speed. Taking these courses will prove to the scheme provider that you are skilled enough to enroll on the scheme.

Once you have successfully registered on the competent person scheme you will then be able to self-certify all your installation work your scheme provider will issue you with your part P electrical certificate.